Thursday 8 March 2012

Only Children A Blessing Or A Curse

I'm an only child myself but most of my friends have a sibling and a lot of the time they tell me how lucky i am and how spoilt only children are. If I'm honest i always felt the same way. As a child i would always tell my parents there was no way that i wanted them to have another kid, i totally wasn't interested. The idea of sharing annoyed me and in my head just like my friends said only children were so much luckier they got everything they wanted.

But as i got older i started to realise being an only child means you are the only one your parents can worry about, so whilst all of your friends are enjoying themselves going out shopping, i was sitting at home because my parents thought i was too young to be in the town centre without them. The thing is even through that i thought that the benefits outweighed the costs, i could still spend time with my friends and i still got everything i wanted.

Recently though i found the big downside, the one where i have started to realise that have a brother or sister isn't that bad. It makes you strong and it makes you appreciate what you have with them. Today my friend found out that her brother and his girlfriend are having a baby. Today she told me how excited she is that she is going to be an auntie and i realised that i never will be one. I can marry someone with brothers and sisters but i will never be a blood auntie.

Is being spoilt really worth the sacrifice of missing out on your family, of having those siblings that you can rely on when your grown up and needs someone to talk to, Ive decided probably not!

No comments:

Post a Comment